Saturday 19 September 2009

Basel away

Got to Basle just before 11am on the Easyjet flight from Gatwick. I was quickly reminded of how efficient the Swiss are as the bus into town left right on time and took exactly 17 minutes as promised. The same journey by taxi would have cost me approx. 40 CHF, which served as a reminder of how bloody expensive that country is.
I was unable to check into my room at the Youth Hostel until 3pm, which incidentally is also when my mates from Rome were meant to arrive in town, so had a little wander by myself around the city centre. Very nice, clean and organised, just as you’d expect a Swiss city to be.
Wherever I go I try to sample the local cuisine, however on this occasion the Basel Building Society had failed to advance the necessary funds for a decent lunch so yours truly had to make do with Turkey’s finest (pide and kebab).
Approaching 3pm, I went back to the Yoof Hostel to check in, and the reception guy cheerily told me that unfortunately I had to wait just five more minutes. I looked at my watch and it was 2.55pm. I thought he was joking.... he wasn’t (sad ‘James Blunt’). Before going to my room, he asked me to follow him into the next room, where I’d be able to pick up my bed sheets. Then he asked me ‘would you like to get a towel as well?’. Unfortunately I think that my sarcasm (‘I’ll take it, you never know, that could come in handy...’) flew well over his cuckoo’s head.
In the end it was a good turnout for the lads from Rome. We had almost 100 in the pub before the match, and another 50 or so joined us outside the ground. I’ll try and post a picture or two this time, I promise.
The least said about the match, the better. AS Roma players had better get their arse in gear or we may be in for just another very long, hard season.

No comments:

Post a Comment