Wednesday 5 August 2009

Tamarai

Went out for a nice meal with my colleagues after work yesterday. The restaurant in question was Tamarai, a kind of Pan-Asian eaterie on Drury Lane.
Before dinner we met up in a pub just opposite the restaurant, called The Sun. Decent selection of beers and friendly service. On the wall they have a board, enlisting Oliver Reed among the Sun's famous patrons. Thinking about it, probably there aren't many London pubs whose doorstep hasn't been darkened by this famous drinker-cum-actor.
When we finally got to the restaurant I feared the worst for my wallet. The eating area is in a basement - dimmed lights, lounge music.... the warning signs were all there and screaming at me. I thought it was going to be one of those places where you pay a small fortune, only to get a gigantic plate put in fron of you with very little food right in the middle.
I was already resigned to getting a falafel wrap at Waterloo on the way home to subside my hunger, however I was pleasantly surprised. Portions were averagely sized and the food was well-above average.
For starters, I shared with Eva some hoisin duck spring rolls which were delicious - light and crispy pastry filled with incredibly tasty meat. For main course I opted for a vegetable red curry with a side order of garlic fried rice. Very succulent indeed. The curry was well spicy but you could still taste the coconut milk, of which there was plenty!
The fact that we were on a 50% off your food bill deal helped matters of course so the damage was limited to £20 each. The service was very courteous and professional. Between starter and main course, they serve you a fruit sorbet (nice touch) and before the starter gets served they also give you a little crouton with a tiny bit of warm duck liver on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment