Sunday 1 November 2009

Holiday - Day 5 & 6 (Part 1)

From today I’ll have to stop referring to my 'favourite' beaches in Phuket.... as there are just too many of them! Today I went to Surin Beach, about 10km north of Patong, just past Laem Singh beach. Surin has always been famous for its crystal clear water. In fact the water is so clear that it makes Patong beach look like Blackpool or Brighton
There are lots of little restaurants and stalls lining Surin beach, serving both Thai and western food. I got a bit thirsty and got myself a very big fresh coconut. In fact to be honest with you, I didn’t even have to leave my sun lounger as they can bring it to you. Very lazy I know!
What I like about this beach is that – although it is packed with sunbeds and parasols as far as the eye can see, there is quite some distance between each parasol so you don’t have the dreaded Torremolinos effect. And I love the extra large wooden sunbeds (available for 100 baht) that they have here.
Last night my friend Jaroon took me to a new bar that opened only 2 months ago in Patong, very close to the Jungceylon shopping centre. This bar is called Bodega (http://www.bodegaphuket.com/) and is just off one of the main arteries (Rat-U-Thit Road). It’s a kind of tapas / lounge bar, with a very relaxed atmosphere. They have some very nice paintings on the wall and decent live music, although not of the eardrum-breaking variety that you get in so many bars in Patong. And for once it was nice to hear somebody singing pretty well – Simon Cowell would have the mother of all field days if he listened to most of the live acts in Patong!
This bar is run by a truly nice and welcoming couple, Robin and Amy Donovan. Robin is a great bloke from Bournemouth, whilst his wife Amy, also born in the UK, has a nice Sith-Ifrikan twang. My friend Jaroon informed me that Amy is one of the leading members of Chicky Net, a social network for expat women in Thailand (http://chickynetphuket.ning.com/). It’s amazing to see how you can build up a loyal clientele base in just two months, a clientele that wants to chill out in a laid-back environment as not every tourist in Patong is after Thai girls (or ladyboys!). Bodega certainly gets my vote and I will certainly pay them another visit before the end of my holiday.
The first two pics below were taken in Surin, whilst the latter two refer to Laem Singh beach.




No comments:

Post a Comment